Our History 1891 - Present day
Barnton Temperance Band was first formed in 1891 and (using instruments, on loan, from the original Brunner Mond & Company) had its first band rehearsal on Thursday September 3rd, in an old hay loft and shoemaker’s shop, at the residence of a Mr Edward Hindley.
After a few months the name was changed to "Barnton Subscription Band" allowing a broader membership before finally becoming; Barnton Silver Band.
In 1894 a disused wooden pump-house in Oakwood Lane, Barnton, was converted into a band-room.
In around 1910 the band was photographed (see below) and this superb picture has been sent to us by Paul Latham. We have identified 'Philip Fogg', a cornet player, on the front row 4th from the left. He is Paul's Great Grandfather.
The Great War
In the early part of the war, the band paraded at Winnington, Barnton, Anderton, Comberbach & Antrobus, to raise funds for soldiers comforts.
15 bandsmen joined the forces, 12 of them in 1914. They all came back, though some had life-changing injuries, and one man died later of disease contracted during his time in Greece. One bandsman was awarded the DCM and the Italian Medal for Valour (unfortunately his name is unknown. If you know who it was .or have any information, please, contact us).
After the band was active in the local community.
Comberbach Village Hall records show that; “On August 27th 1921 the band lead a procession to open the new Comberbach War Memorial and Recreation Field to the strains of ‘Onward Christian Soldiers’" There were free teas for the children, and also, for those who had lost someone in the war. This was our first recorded job.
Mrs Jean Foster, (whose father was in the band) has provided some of the later histories.
During the 1940s the Leicester family dominated the band personnel. It was suggested if there was a call “Leicester’s fall out”, there would be no one left in the band!
Over the years we have taken part in brass band contests in the 4th Section and reached the dizzy heights of the third section for a while under the baton of Steve Yates.
Two of the trophies from the Finals of the North West Region at Blackpool in 1994 and 1995 now adorn the mantelpiece at the Hormbrey home, The Poplars, together with some of Howard's impressive glasswork.
See more excellent band photographs in Jean Foster's History Gallery
We'd love to hear of any more history from band members, relatives etc so please email us!
We continue to play at the TATA Chemicals (formerly The Brunner Mond & Co.) Remembrance Service in November at their War Memorial in Winnington.